1. I’m thankful for Benigna because Benigna is an artist.
2. Because Benigna has known my husband since he was a little boy.
3. Because the train runs so close to Benigna’s house you can feel the whole place rumble like a kettledrum.
4. Because her beauty is timeless.
5. Because Benigna pronounces her name in a way that makes pronouncing it easier for everyone else.
6. Because Benigna’s grand old Hudson Valley home is filled with mysteries and delights around every corner.
7. Because Benigna wears sweaters on her legs and calls them pants.
8. Because she once invited all of her dentists over for dinner so they could get to know each other.
9. Because Benigna makes the best hummus ever and always brings a batch wherever she goes.
10. Because when Benigna offers you tea, she opens an entire cupboard full of choices.
11. I’m thankful for Benigna because despite barely heating it, her house is always a warm place.
HUMMUS ACCORDING TO BENIGNA:
1. Soak a big bag of chickpeas overnight.
2. Drain, rinse.
3. Cook with plenty of water until soft.
4. Put chickpeas into blender
5. Add garlic (2 to 3 cloves), cold press virgin olive oil, lemon juice – about 2 tablespoons
6. Add 1 spoon of Tahini (What kind of spoon? Not sure. She never said…channel you’re inner-Benigna!)
7. Blend, keep adding olive oil slowly. Bring to The Muddy Kitchen.
Take your boots off before you come in here!