While I do miss my veggie garden something fierce when I’m back in California, I am rewarded with the heady knowledge that a little slice o’ heaven is just up the road.
On a Saturday morning, after a bit of lolling around (which makes my Saturday mornings sound so much more Zsa Zsa Gabor-esque than they are) and maybe a nice slosh of Blue Bottle Coffee, and a pain au chocolat nibble or two, I can turn to my husband and in one single word suggest something so delicious, so enticing, so impossible to turn down that it rouses even the tiredest of men.
One word. Posed as a question. While still in bed:
And more often than not, “there” means Regusci Winery.
Why Regusci? (Say ‘Ra-goo-shee!‘)
1. Because Regusci wine is consistently yummy.
2. Because it’s not so ridunculously expensive that real people can’t buy it.
3. Because of Alex and Rita and Neil (no, don’t think he’s got anything on under that kilt, but haven’t confirmed). They’re always a few glasses into the bottle when we get there. Can’t trust the wine guys who don’t do the drink.
4. Because Darioush is so over.
5. Because if you ask really nicely, they might show you the secret stash they keep next door. Bring a flashlight. Stay hydrated. Don’t get anyone fired.
6. And because, surprise surprise, they have a veggie garden to die for. I wander around it, coveting this and that, dreaming of the day when I too will have a staff of 20 to make my garden look weedless and perfect from moment to moment.
Take your boots off before you come in here!